Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 12 Dec 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2009 5:07 pm 
Acolyte

Posters,

The agenda for Explore Oak Island Days 2009 has been set. It still needs some tweaking and as you will see, we have a “TBA” (to be announced) for the last speaker of the weekend. If we are able to get the person (s) we are after, you will not want to miss this EOID. You won’t want to miss EOID anyway as it is full of good Oak Island information, fun and activities for the whole family.

For those of you who have never been to Oak Island we offer six regular walking tours and a special ‘Members Only” tour on Thursday, June 18th at 6 PM. To become a member, simply go to the web site, look on the left hand side of the home page and click on “Join.” Follow the prompts for easy membership application. We accept PayPal so snail mail is not necessary unless you prefer it.

To participate in a regular tour, you must pre register and to do that, follow the directions on our web site under Agenda, and make your reservations. We already have tour reservations in the book and this may be a very special year as we all anticipate active treasure hunting to be on going.

To see the agenda, go to www.oakislandsociety.ca and click on, well, Agenda. Updates will be along as they are ready to be released. Members of the Society already know about hotel room prices at the Oak Island Resort and that information will soon be posted on the Oak Island Tourism Society's web site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2009 5:29 pm 
Site Owner

Thank you for posting this.

Cheers,

Andrew

The greatest discovery of all is the truth...

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009 10:42 am 
Acolyte

Andrew,

Quote:
Thank you for posting this.

My pleasure.

Post subject: Where to stay
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009 3:54 pm 
Acolyte

Posters,

The Oak Island Resort has given the Oak Island Tourism Society really good room rates for anyone staying at the Resort for Explore Oak Island Days, June 19 - 21/09. Land side guest rooms are $109 and oceanfront guest rooms are $129 per night, but you must tell the desk clerk you are booking for EOID in order to get these preferential rates. My best advise is to book early even though we have taken steps to block a total of 50 rooms for our guests.

You need not be a member of the Society to get these rates, everyone is welcome to join in on the considerable reduction in costs. To contact the Resort, call toll free at 1-800-565-5075 or visit their web site. http://www.oakislandresortandspa.com/pu ... fault.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2009 4:32 pm 
High King

Only $129 for a place to sleep, on the side of the building where you can actually tell that you're near the ocean? I'm there! Seriously though, I'd say maybe $80 would be reasonable. Why would they even make rooms on the land side? They should have just made the building one room wide and put more stories on it. Who wants to see the parking lot, street, woods or whatever is back there? Who's running the town of Chester anyway, Bozo the clown? No wonder tourism is down. I hear they have outrageous property taxes down there too. The hell's that about? I could see maybe for the first 500 feet from the shore, but the rest is nothing special.

Post subject: Speakers
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009 1:36 pm 
Acolyte

Forum members,

The agenda for Explore Oak Island Days is now full, our last speaker has joined our festival.

His name is Rick Ratcliffe and he is currently the registrar in charge of Treasure Trove Licenses for the Province of Nova Scotia. By the time Explore Oak Island Days rolls around, he will be retired from the position he has held for over 25 years.

Many of you may not be aware that Nova Scotia is the only province in Canada that has legislation providing for a licensing requirement to dig or to Scuba dive for treasure. Recent tightening down of the requirements and issuance of Treasure Trove Licenses has delayed a renewed treasure hunt on Oak Island. I am however pleased to report that hurdles have been satisfied and permission is now in hand for Oak Island Tours Inc.(proper name of the new group) to start up what has become the best known and longest running treasure hunt in the world.

No doubt. Mr. Ratcliffe will have any entertaining stories to tell and a great presentation to offer. See our full agenda at www.oakisdlandsociety.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 4:10 am 
Initiate

I am very pleased to announce a presentation called "Essential History of Oak Island 1753 to 1795 - A presentation and discussion of over 500 never before published documents which detail the island's early history", will be held on 20 June 2009 at the Western Shore and Area Improvement Association, 6485 Hwy 3, Western Shore B0J 3M0, Nova Scotia from 7pm to 9pm.

This presentation is free to the general public with members of the Oak Island Tourism Society highly encouraged to attend. While this event is in direct conflict with the OITS 'Commotion by the Ocean' debate, most don't want to pay $40.00/person to hear four people debate if Oak Island is more hype than substance.

Come relearn of the island's history through documents of established fact, not by promotion of tales and legend. The flow for the presentation is the following:

General History of Mahone Bay to 1795
English Settlement Period 1753 to 1809
Shoreham Grant
Biographies

-Oak Island property owners prior to the arrival of the Loyalists in 1784.
-Biographies – Those Associated with the local history
-Biographies – Those of Oak Island after 1784 to 1795
-Specific History of those associated with the community and island
Smuggling
Sacking of Lunenburg

-Background
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 1
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 2
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 3
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 4
-Summary of Observations
THE SACKING OF LUNENBURG PART II - The Chester Visit
-Summary of Observations
-Conclusions for the Sacking of Lunenburg Part I and II
-Oak Island Connected
Loyalists
When was discovery?
The Onslow Trigger
Conclusions

Attached are a few images from the presentation. These strictly deal with John Smith’s genealogy, including some letters to both his father and mother. The document clearly shows John, his mother, and step-father moved to Oak Island during the late 1780s. This can be confirmed through property deeds and through the Poll-Tax of 1791. The source is from the Public Archives of NS MG 100 Volume 230 #32-32E (Reel 9809) Descendants of the Smith and Floyd Families. The record appears to have been compiled between 1884- 1888/1889 onwards as a column on page 7 says "Where at in 1884".

For those with a peripheral knowledge of the island’s history, the attached document absolutely destroys the popular legend of discovery which states 'in 1795, three boys rowed out to a previously uninhabited island'. This information is what the Oak Island Tourism society (and others who exploit the legend and tale) does not want you to know. This document alone confirms the treasure hunting prospectus circulating under Blair during the 1890s was fraudulent.

The images are each ½ pages from a book, with even numbers being the left page and odd number being the right page.

The above image shows the first generation of John Smith’s lineage which starts with John’s father Duncan and brothers. Duncan married Margaret McLean. Duncan would eventually be granted Oak Island lot #24 during 1784. Other records show Duncan died 1785. John’s mother would remarry to Neal McMullen and they would move to Oak Island in 1788/1789. Neal took possession of lot 11 on 6 Oct 1789, then lots 9 and 10 in June 1793, thus lot 11 should be the location for a homestead.

Notice in the above image of how many Smiths are listed as dying on Oak Island including one in an accident.

From the above image, the property was lot 11 which Mcmullen purchased in October of 1789. John was actually 10 years old with his father dying in 1785 (his father was granted lot 24 in 1784). The above page is highly illuminating.

The above images are just a small sample from my presentation. I consider the above documents of minor importance but do contribute to the big picture. You’ll just have to attend the one time only presentation to see the rest.

You're all more than welcome,

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 5:13 pm 
High King

Looks like a good event, Enforen. To far away for me. I have a quick question for you, while you're here. Not worth starting a new thread for. Have you ever heard of a place in the Lunenburg area which was known as "old Labrador's farm"? I read about it in a book called The Protestant Settlement of Nova Scotia, or something like that, at the Dartmouth Library. Good book, BTW, some interesting stories of native attacks on Lunenburgers and so on. Original writings from the time.

When the Europeans first started to settle the area, they found a native/white man already living there on a farm. He was known as old Labrador, so he must have been born at least 60 years earlier. Obviously, that's a Portuguese name. Who do you suppose his parents were? Kind of a mysterious guy.

Last edited by jb1717 on 17 May 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 5:20 pm 
Queen Bee

http://www.multiculturaltrails.ca/level ... er189.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 5:21 pm 
High King

Oh cool, thanks Sheila. I think that book I mentioned was Bell, Winthrop P., The Foreign Protestants and the Settlement of Nova Scotia, 1961.

Last edited by jb1717 on 17 May 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 5:22 pm 
Queen Bee

That's what friends are for jb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 5:34 pm 
High King

Very quick too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 5:52 pm 
Initiate

jb1717 wrote:
Looks like a good event, Enforen. To far away for me. I have a quick question for you, while you're here. Not worth starting a new thread for. Have you ever heard of a place in the Lunenburg area which was known as "old Labrador's farm"? I read about it in a book called The Protestant Settlement of Nova Scotia, or something like that, at the Dartmouth Library. Good book, BTW, some interesting stories of native attacks on Lunenburgers and so on. Original writings from the time.

When the Europeans first started to settle the area, they found a native/white man already living there on a farm. He was known as old Labrador, so he must have been born at least 60 years earlier. Obviously, that's a Portuguese name. Who do you suppose his parents were? Kind of a mysterious guy.

Much discussion and research is still ongoing in an attempt to determine the origins of introduction for the name Labrador in Atlantic Canada. While we know this name was from the Portuguese origins of Lavrador, for which the body of land was named, why did the French maintain and offer these place names after their arrival, especially for the Labrador Lakes of Cape Breton?

The following is an extract from the 1753 record which identifies the text you mention

“ An extant copy of a diary carefully recorded by Colonel Lawrence has provided historians with unusually detailed information about the preparations for the expedition and the early days of the settlement of Lunenburg.

The first landing parties discovered little evidence of the early Acadian settlement with the exception of one farm occupied by a native named Paul Labrador and his Metis family. The reports of 300 to 400 acres of cleared land from the previous settlement proved to be somewhat optimistic since much of the area had been left untended for several years and was described by Lawrence as "brush".

There is also a Labrador Hill which overlooks the East River in the North West corner of Mahone Bay. This river was the preferred native trail in transiting between Mahone Bay and the New Midas basin.

Paul Labrador is mentioned as an agent of the French who was spying on the English and for conducting raids against them during the French and Indian wars (1757 and 1758)

Paul Labrador is also mentioned in the Rev Seccombe diary (1759) for coming to early Chester to trade fresh salmon.

I think Labrador was spying and using trading opportunities to gather intelligence. The record does show many Indian raids on lumber mills at Chester. During the 1760s, Labrador is mentioned as a native who resides on the St. John’s River near modern day Fredericton.

I think it highly likely a few of the Portuguese remained ashore in Atlantic Canada and inter-married into the native population, with some keeping a Christian surname. While a definitive record has yet to be found which proves this, a post 1588 Portuguese presence in Atlantic Canada would explain much about French activity, conduct, methods, and level of success.

I think it highly unlikely for several generation of the Labrador family to have remained exclusively in the Lunenburg area from ~1588 to 1753, as their supporting family and community (the natives) were migratory in nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 8:04 pm 
High King

I see, so there had already been a French settlement there anyway. Just wondering who old Labrador was. Guess he got the name from the French instead of the Portuguese. Thanks.