Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 16 Jan 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rendlesham Forest
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013 9:55 am 
High King

I was staying near Rendlesham Forest (aka "Britain's Roswell") at the weekend, so went and had a brief look-around. Rendlesham is a forest in Suffolk on England's east coast, where there are a great many air bases, mostly now disused, and was the scene in December 1980 of several UFO sightings.

Quote:
The Rendlesham Forest incident is the name given to a series of reported sightings of unexplained lights and the alleged landing of a craft or multiple craft of unknown origin in Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England, in late December 1980, just outside RAF Woodbridge, used at the time by the U.S. Air Force. Dozens of USAF personnel were eyewitnesses to various events over a two- or three-day period. It is the most famous UFO event to have happened in Britain, ranking amongst the best-known UFO events worldwide. Along with the Berwyn Mountain UFO incident, it has been compared to the Roswell UFO incident in the United States, and is sometimes referred to as "Britain's Roswell".
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) denied the event posed any threat to national security, and stated that it was therefore never investigated as a security matter. Later evidence indicated that there was a substantial MoD file on the subject, which led to claims of a cover-up; some interpreted this as part of a larger pattern of information suppression concerning the true nature of unidentified flying objects, by both the United States and British governments ... One person to take this view was eyewitness and Deputy Base Commander Colonel Charles Halt ... Another was former NATO head and UK Chief of the Defence Staff Lord Peter Hill-Norton, who stated whatever happened at this USAF base was necessarily of national security interest. However, when the file was released in 2001 it turned out to consist mostly of internal correspondence and responses to inquiries from the public. Sceptics note that the lack of any in-depth investigation in the publicly released documents is consistent with the MoD's earlier statement that they never took the case seriously. Included in the released files is an explanation given by defence minister Lord Trefgarne as to why the MoD did not investigate further. The sightings have been explained as misinterpretation of a series of nocturnal lights – a fireball, the Orford Ness lighthouse and bright stars.

More here (there's masses of material on this, with lots of theories, counter-theories, etc. on various websites):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendlesham_Forest_incident

I only had a short amount of time there, but walked some of the UFO Trail that's been created in the vicinity of the disused RAF Woodbridge base, the part of the forest in which the alleged events took place.

This is more of the trail.

It's mostly quite dense woodland but with some big clearings, like this one.

Amidst the trees and bracken are lines of mesh fencing delineating the air base. No longer in use, but with an infernal racket coming from the far end of it, that sounded like some sort of moto-cross event.

This is another view of the perimeter of Woodbridge, used by the US Air Force at the time of the alleged UFO incidents. There was a massive USAF as well as RAF presence in this area during WWII, due to its proximity to mainland Europe. Woodbridge was built in 1943 as an emergency landing strip (hence it's five times the size of a typical landing strip). Between 1943 and the end of the war in 1945 no less than 4,200 allied aircraft made emergency landings here.

I only had quite a brief time there, but would like to go back some time and explore in more depth. Apart from anything else, they're very nice woods, with masses of Scots Pine, and also many Silver Birch.

Post subject: Re: Rendlesham Forest
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013 10:06 am 
Grand Master

Unfortunately the very composition of the forest has changed since 1980. It was seriously hit by the 1987 hurricane and replanted.

And I believe that the Orford Ness lighthouse, which plays such an important role in the tales of flying saucers (YMMV), has recently been closed?

http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/index.shtml

http://priory-of-sion.com/

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013 10:35 am 
High King

Robert N wrote:
Unfortunately the very composition of the forest has changed since 1980. It was seriously hit by the 1987 hurricane and replanted.

And I believe that the Orford Ness lighthouse, which plays such an important role in the tales of flying saucers (YMMV), has recently been closed?

Yes, apparently it sent out it's last beam on 27th June this year, and is so close to the shoreline that it will be in the sea in a few years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-23091214

This is said lighthouse, viewed from the roof of Orford Castle a few months ago. Unsurprisingly, it's one of the chief suspects for the strange sightings in the forest a few miles away.

I'd forgotten about the great storm of 1987. That may well be the explanation for the very large clearing in one of the pictures above.

I also recall there was a news story a year or so back about someone coming forward to say they'd been burning something nearby on the night in question, and this might have unwittingly contributed to the whole phenomenon??? :?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013 10:47 am 
High King

richard.webster wrote:
I also recall there was a news story a year or so back about someone coming forward to say they'd been burning something nearby on the night in question, and this might have unwittingly contributed to the whole phenomenon??? :?

That was it - a stolen truck of manure, set on fire.

A good, brief overview of the whole thing here, by British UFO investigator, Nick Pope, including a reference to the burning manure. He doesn't give much credence to the lighthouse theory, though, due to range, and line of sight issues.

http://www.nickpope.net/bentwaters-ufo-incident.htm

He concludes:

Quote:
The Rendlesham Forest incident remains unexplained. This is one of the few things one can say with any degree of certainty about these events. Theories – whether they are about extraterrestrials, lighthouses, time travellers from the future, burning trucks of manure, psyops, practical jokes or secret prototype drones – are just that: theories; nothing more.

Georgina Bruni once called Rendlesham “Britain’s Roswell”. She was right, but not just in the sense that she meant it, i.e. in terms of the case being significant and well-known. Other parallels can be drawn. New witnesses will emerge, some genuine and some not. Additional documents may come to light. New theories will be put forward. In time, the fortieth anniversary will come; then the fiftieth. Witnesses will pass on, until eventually, nobody directly involved will remain. Ultimately, like Roswell, the events will pass from history into legend.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013 9:58 am 
Grand Master

richard.webster wrote:
That was it - a stolen truck of manure, set on fire.

Of course, we have more "de-bunk" stories than can all be true. Lighthouse, crashed US bomber, hoax, manure...

richard.webster wrote:
A good, brief overview of the whole thing here, by British UFO investigator, Nick Pope, including a reference to the burning manure. He doesn't give much credence to the lighthouse theory, though, due to range, and line of sight issues.

Nick Pope = attention seeking clown. Walter Mitty.

Many people who visited the woods commented on the obvious visibility of the lighthouse and how odd it was that Holt and others make no mention of the unmissable flashing light, brighter than anything else in the area.

I've only driven by in daylight so can't speak from personal experience.

http://www.criticalenquiry.org/oakisland/index.shtml

http://priory-of-sion.com/

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013 10:25 pm 
Emperor

richard.webster wrote:
I was staying near Rendlesham Forest (aka "Britain's Roswell") at the weekend, so went and had a brief look-around. Rendlesham is a forest in Suffolk on England's east coast, where there are a great many air bases, mostly now disused, and was the scene in December 1980 of several UFO sightings.

Quote:
The Rendlesham Forest incident is the name given to a series of reported sightings of unexplained lights and the alleged landing of a craft or multiple craft of unknown origin in Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England, in late December 1980, just outside RAF Woodbridge, used at the time by the U.S. Air Force. Dozens of USAF personnel were eyewitnesses to various events over a two- or three-day period. It is the most famous UFO event to have happened in Britain, ranking amongst the best-known UFO events worldwide. Along with the Berwyn Mountain UFO incident, it has been compared to the Roswell UFO incident in the United States, and is sometimes referred to as "Britain's Roswell".
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) denied the event posed any threat to national security, and stated that it was therefore never investigated as a security matter. Later evidence indicated that there was a substantial MoD file on the subject, which led to claims of a cover-up; some interpreted this as part of a larger pattern of information suppression concerning the true nature of unidentified flying objects, by both the United States and British governments ... One person to take this view was eyewitness and Deputy Base Commander Colonel Charles Halt ... Another was former NATO head and UK Chief of the Defence Staff Lord Peter Hill-Norton, who stated whatever happened at this USAF base was necessarily of national security interest. However, when the file was released in 2001 it turned out to consist mostly of internal correspondence and responses to inquiries from the public. Sceptics note that the lack of any in-depth investigation in the publicly released documents is consistent with the MoD's earlier statement that they never took the case seriously. Included in the released files is an explanation given by defence minister Lord Trefgarne as to why the MoD did not investigate further. The sightings have been explained as misinterpretation of a series of nocturnal lights – a fireball, the Orford Ness lighthouse and bright stars.

More here (there's masses of material on this, with lots of theories, counter-theories, etc. on various websites):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendlesham_Forest_incident

I only had a short amount of time there, but walked some of the UFO Trail that's been created in the vicinity of the disused RAF Woodbridge base, the part of the forest in which the alleged events took place.

This is more of the trail.

It's mostly quite dense woodland but with some big clearings, like this one.

Amidst the trees and bracken are lines of mesh fencing delineating the air base. No longer in use, but with an infernal racket coming from the far end of it, that sounded like some sort of moto-cross event.

This is another view of the perimeter of Woodbridge, used by the US Air Force at the time of the alleged UFO incidents. There was a massive USAF as well as RAF presence in this area during WWII, due to its proximity to mainland Europe. Woodbridge was built in 1943 as an emergency landing strip (hence it's five times the size of a typical landing strip). Between 1943 and the end of the war in 1945 no less than 4,200 allied aircraft made emergency landings here.

I only had quite a brief time there, but would like to go back some time and explore in more depth. Apart from anything else, they're very nice woods, with masses of Scots Pine, and also many Silver Birch.

I was channel surfing last night and came across a program on the national geographic channel about this and other ufo incidents such as the phoenix lights. It was was very interesting and it included an interview with Halt and Nick Pope. Not together but still - it was easier to see what they were talking about because they used scenes to re-enact what had happened and that it had happened over two nights. I think because there were two countries involved that it might have created some confusion in my mind when I was reading it. I do know that land would be considered U.S. land while they were present so ... it was interesting the dynamics. They also mentioned the craft split into 5 lights and seemed to sending out a grid search pattern and then there was beam of light as if they had found what they were looking for and then it dissappeared.