Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 16 Jan 2018 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008 9:10 pm 
High King

Iv just picked up a copy of a book called "The History of the Knights Templar" by Charles G. Addison ESQ of the Inner Temple. This was first written in 1842 and the author claims to be a member of the Order of the Temple. Has anyone here read this book before ? and can I place any accuracy with its historic integrity ?
Regards
Nic

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008 9:17 pm 
High King

""

Last edited by bergeredearcadie on 31 Oct 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008 9:31 pm 
High King

Thanx Sandy :(
Regards
Nic

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008 3:41 am 
High King

I have that book too, and I think it is one of the best books available on Templar history. A little hard to read, due to its olden times style of wording, but definitely worth having. You get to read all the little stories like the various battles with the Muslims and the things done by the various Grandmasters. You don't find those stories anywhere else, at least not without a lot of looking.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010 12:18 pm 
Adept

The original History of the Knights Templar by Addison is a very good source of information. However, the additions by a D H Childress detract from the authenticity of the original in his attempt to justify plagiarism.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010 1:55 am 
Queen Bee

seneschal
I am so glad to see you
Missed your wisdom

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010 9:16 am 
Adept

Lovuian,

Thank you, a very kind thought. I am not so sure of the wisdom element.
Trust you are well and still researching at full tilt, I see the theories are still building and expanding.

Keep well,

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010 3:18 am 
Queen Bee

yes I try :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am very glad to see you
your knowledge was greatly appreciated

You know I adore De Saunhac (De Sonnac) the Grandmaster of the Battle of Mansoorah
He is such a incredible character in history

he has so many stories written about him
I'm a romantic I admit ...

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010 7:33 am 
Grand Master

The hardback version of Dr Helen Nicholson's "God's Warriors" is available at http://www.Bibliophilebooks.com for £3 (down from £20) in their sale right now.

There's also "HISTORY OF DEATH", by MICHAEL KERRIGAN for £6 for the lugubrious amongst you (you know who you are :wink: )

And NANCY GOLDSTONE' FOUR QUEENS: The Provencal Sisters Who Ruled Europe for £7 instead of $24.95, h/b

And much much more, of course...

On the other hand - always worth checking Amazon -
History of Death - £2.40 +£2.75 P&P
Four Queens - 17p(!) " "

Last edited by ndawe on 05 Aug 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010 7:50 am 
Queen Bee

:wink:

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010 5:53 am 
Grand Master

For those with Kindles, or those keenly awaiting one, a couple of possible purchases -

Addison's History of the Knights Templar - 75p

and a Rennes-le-Chateau novel about which I can make no promises -

No Greater Sacrifice £2.96

And if anyone's looking for a cover for their Kindle, the ones at Oberon designs in California look rather splendid -

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.p ... _list&c=67

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 11:01 am 
Grand Master

Nice piece of academic research shared at a very generous price (£3.33) on the Kindle instead of going for one of the extremely expensive academic imprints. Her PhD thesis, essentially. -

Templar Convivencia: Templars and Their Associates in 12th and 13th Century Iberia by Paula R.Stiles

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Templar-Convive ... 216&sr=8-1

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 6:40 pm 
High King

ndawe wrote:
Nice piece of academic research shared at a very generous price (£3.33) on the Kindle instead of going for one of the extremely expensive academic imprints. Her PhD thesis, essentially. -

Templar Convivencia: Templars and Their Associates in 12th and 13th Century Iberia by Paula R.Stiles

Thanks Nicole :D
Have you read it?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 6:57 pm 
Grand Master

Am doing so, as we speak, but just quickly, it's great for localising certain relevant source documents, with helpful hints about where to find what, and is a generally well-argued, interesting and informative piece of writing.
It talks about Templar holdings from Douzens via Girona to Barcelona and further afield, and takes a look at the relationship between the Templars and the non-Christian populations of Jews and Muslims.
There is a focus on the rank and file of the Templars, not solely focusing on the Grand Masters. It also looks at the presence of women in the Order in this part of Europe.
Anyway, still reading it, as I say...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 7:10 pm 
High King

ndawe wrote:
Am doing so, as we speak, but just quickly, it's great for localising certain relevant source documents, with helpful hints about where to find what, and is a generally well-argued, interesting and informative piece of writing.
It talks about Templar holdings from Douzens via Girona to Barcelona and further afield, and takes a look at the relationship between the Templars and the non-Christian populations of Jews and Muslims.
There is a focus on the rank and file of the Templars, not solely focusing on the Grand Masters. It also looks at the presence of women in the Order in this part of Europe.

I got it, I like that it was vetted by Malcolm Barber :D

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 7:13 pm 
High King

tingra wrote:
ndawe wrote:

I got it, I like that it was vetted by Malcolm Barber :D

Sounds interesting, thanks Nicole. I'm piqued by the mention of Douzens, as it isn't far from my French hideout :D
Regards
Nic

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 7:19 pm 
Grand Master

It's actually littered with "pleasing" details...I never like to reveal them really - leave the pleasure of discovery to the reader. :)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 10:02 pm 
High King

ndawe wrote:
It's actually littered with "pleasing" details...I never like to reveal them really - leave the pleasure of discovery to the reader. :)

Tease :mrgreen:
Regards
Nic

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012 11:54 pm 
Queen Bee

ndawe wrote:

Hope this one is better than Juan García Atienza's The Knights Templar in the Golden Age of Spain: Their Hidden History on the Iberian Peninsula. What a horrific read that was, I think someone did a very literal word-for-word translation from the original Spanish and ignored English sentence structure altogether.

TCP

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012 12:20 am 
Queen Bee

ndawe wrote:
And if anyone's looking for a cover for their Kindle, the ones at Oberon designs in California look rather splendid -

http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.p ... _list&c=67

HIGHLY recommended, their leather work is phenomenal and very reasonably priced for what it is. The finest.

TCP

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012 6:31 am 
Grand Master

Yes, Celtic Hounds in wine has embellished my Kindle for more than 2 years now and is still as beautiful as ever. :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2012 5:49 pm 
Grand Master

Templar Conviviencia free for 2 days -

"Today is the 705th anniversary of the arrests in France of the Knights Templar, resulting in a trial that lasted five years and launched the Order into posthumous infamy. To commemorate this, starting tomorrow, I'll be making "Templar Convivencia" free for two days: http://www.amazon.com/Templar-Convivenc ... B008CXB038 "

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2012 8:15 pm 
High King

ndawe wrote:

"Today is the 705th anniversary of the arrests in France of the Knights Templar, resulting in a trial that lasted five years and launched the Order into posthumous infamy. To commemorate this, starting tomorrow, I'll be making "Templar Convivencia" free for two days: http://www.amazon.com/Templar-Convivenc ... B008CXB038 "

:D :D :D
Regards
Nic

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2012 10:26 pm 
Grand Master

BULLDOGNIC wrote:
Iv just picked up a copy of a book called "The History of the Knights Templar" by Charles G. Addison ESQ of the Inner Temple. This was first written in 1842 and the author claims to be a member of the Order of the Temple. Has anyone here read this book before ? and can I place any accuracy with its historic integrity ?
Regards
Nic
I bought a first edition copy of this book in a second hand shop in about 1975. It was a small format book printed on uncut paper and produced in a limited bound and numbered edition. The exact number in the edition escapes me, but I think it was only about 150 copies. I believe it was reprinted subsequently. Unfortunately my copy was stolen from my place of work in the early 1990s. Pre-internet days.

It is an interesting book and one that first introduced me to the Templars and Temple church.

The parts I remember was that the identification of one or two of the tomb effigies in the round are different to those still cited today and I also remember he mentions an underground passage that linked a refectory with Temple Church.

I took the book to Temple Church with me once and showed it to the person who was looking after Temple Church, I'm not sure what his official title might be. Verger? He found it most interesting. He said he'd heard of the book and thought there was a copy of it in the Middle Temple.

As a result of my interest he unlocked and took me down into the crypt of Temple Church. The site was heavily bombed in WWII and the crypt is now a small space largely filled with fragments of stone salvaged from the wreckage and it seemed to me blocked with rubble at the back. I think the entrance from memory is where the St Anne's chapel once was. I asked about the refectory passage but the memory of it seems to have been lost.

Last time I visited, post Dan Browne, the Temple Church door was locked and visits were by arrangement or at set times only. This is a great shame, as I often walked through that Norman arch into another world when it was open and empty, just a short walk from busy Fleet Street.

I think the book is a valuable detailed record of what Temple Church was like prior to its extensive restoration after WWII.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2012 9:35 am 
High King

BULLDOGNIC wrote:
ndawe wrote:

:D :D :D
Regards
Nic

I found this book on the Iberian language, it is extremely interesting.

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=NGoCAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&authuser=0&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA5