Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 12 Dec 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

The Mayan Prophecy of 2012 is:
Based on solid evidence. We should expect a cataclysm. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Based on solid evidence. We should expect a spiritual awakening. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Unrealistic, although we might be living in the last epoch. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Entirely unfounded and driven by hype and misinformation. 83%  83%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 30
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012 12:23 pm 
High King

The latest on the Bugarach madness from La Depeche du Midi, detailing what sounds like some very heavy duty security arrangements, with no less than three perimeters being set up, the outer one as far away as Limoux, the inner one around the mountain itself, and another in between, with a checkpoint around Vialasse by the sounds of it, which visitors to the area will know as the little hamlet with the boat-shaped outline of some ancient Visigoth earthworks, about midway between Rennes-les-Bains and Bugarach on the D14 road.

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/12 ... urite.html

And a short piece from the Telegraph, which includes a film shot around the village.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... arach.html

A sledgehammer to crack a nut, or sensible precautions to deal with lots of nuts? I would imagine much of the publicity is pre-emptive, designed to deter people from making the trip down there in the first place. And concern about cults, too, I suppose.

I wonder what it's going to be like down there on Saturday 22nd. Will the end-of-the-worlders acknowledge their vapid stupidity and skulk away in embarrassment, or will they blithely move on to the next apocalypse (no. 183 or whatever it is)? I bet it's more of the latter.

11.11am (GMT), btw, is the time I've seen elsewhere as the moment of the great rapture, in case people want to make plans for the day.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 12:00 am 
Grand Master

Mmmmmmmm, I'll be sipping my first G&T in a villa in Phuket.
Nice knowing you all!!!!
Season's Greetings if it all doesn't come to pass.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012 2:43 pm 
High King

It's nothing else than a Mayan New Year's Eve. A get together for a glass of champagne. :D

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 2:34 am 
High King

NASA confidently releases ‘Why the world didn’t end’ video

Quote:
In an effort to help people understand why it is that the Mayan calendar did not accurately predict the end of the world on December 21, 2012, NASA has released a video thoroughly explaining why it is the whole thing was just a big misunderstanding. Just in case, however, they released the video before December 22.

We observe time very differently than how the Mayans did. While a day is the same thing, periods like weeks, months, and years were observed in different formats. For the most part though, we can draw similarities between what we consider correct time intervals and what the Mayans did in their normal calendar. Then there’s the long count calendar, which we do not have a functional measurement system to compare to. The long count calendar includes intervals for moments in time that are hundreds of thousands of years apart. One of those intervals is called a B’ak’tun, and December 21 is the 13th B’ak’tun in the Mayan long count calendar.

The reason there are so many people concerned that the world is going to end is because there was a calendar discovered that only measure 13 of these B’ak’tun. For someone unfamiliar with how the Mayans measured time, it’s not hard to see how things got out of hand from there.

Center for ArcheoAstronomyNASA’s video includes some commentary from Dr. John Carlson, director of the Center for ArcheoAstronomy. According to Dr. Carlson, the Mayan long count calendar is designed to roll back on itself and start over at the 13th B’ak’tun, rather than end.

In a way it makes perfect sense. If you’re going to make a calendar out of a massive piece of stone, you probably want it to last a while.

NASA has been quite vocal about the world not ending, this video existing as just a fraction of the work done so far to try and convince the world that everything is going to be OK on Saturday morning. Hopefully this video stands as their only form of bragging about being right come December 22.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-ceter ... -20121219/

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 6:50 am 
Grand Master

Ah! Goodbye cruel world!

And there we were, all waiting for the fiscal cliff, almost neglecting the imminent cosmic toilet flush.

No matter, I have a sufficient supply of Knockando to prepare me for our impending fate and keep me anaesthetised and pleasantly numbed as we go down the gurgler.

If only there was more time - time to grasp the sacred significance of the "Inner Secret":

www.freehealingbooks.com/user/image/inner_secret_x.pdf

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 9:02 am 
Initiate

richard.webster wrote:
A sledgehammer to crack a nut, or sensible precautions to deal with lots of nuts? I would imagine much of the publicity is pre-emptive, designed to deter people from making the trip down there in the first place. And concern about cults, too, I suppose.

I wonder what it's going to be like down there on Saturday 22nd. Will the end-of-the-worlders acknowledge their vapid stupidity and skulk away in embarrassment, or will they blithely move on to the next apocalypse (no. 183 or whatever it is)? I bet it's more of the latter.

Is anybody actually going to be going there? I imagine there will be loads of security and they will outnumber the pilgrims enormously (I've been to some demonstrations a bit like that).

Surely anyone committing to a trip could, prior to that, commit to 5 minutes internet research and realise they should stay at home. Maybe I'm overestimating the belief in rationality.

Sent from my iphone in Bugarach, France

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 9:42 am 
High King

Red thread wrote:
Is anybody actually going to be going there? I imagine there will be loads of security and they will outnumber the pilgrims enormously ...

I wonder about that, too. I saw the first mention of the so-called Mayan apocalypse on the TV news last night, as one of those sort of jokey filler bits at the end of the main programme, and there was a bit of recent film from Bugarach, showing a great gaggle of police and journalists, but no end-of-the-worlders. The closest the news crew could find was some English guy wandering about with a very nice looking spaniel, who admitted he'd just come down for the "crack" as it were, and to watch the freak show. I think you're probably right, more security (and journos) than apocalypse-awaiters. It may be that this whole nutters and cults descending on Bugarach thing turns out to be just as much of a load of hype and nonsense as the predictions of the end of the world.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 9:49 am 
High King

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8004316/ns/video/#50257119

watch this. My friend Susie appears halfway through and is asked about UFO's. Then some random dude gets accredited with being Henry Lincoln who actually does turn up later and is described as "a local". Susie told me he'd just popped down to Relais to get some End of World Wine when they collared him. He was shouting "I do not want to be filmed" at the camera man. They eventually persude him to talk on camera and his 2 second quote is classic Henry :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 10:26 am 
High King

Davinho wrote:
They eventually persude him to talk on camera and his 2 second quote is classic Henry :lol:

Indeed it is. Excellent, thank you for posting that.

I hope the shop and cafe does a roaring trade today.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 3:07 pm 
High King

Seems even more of a non-event aside from reporters and police.

Quote:
Major security measures are in place around a perimeter including three other villages, with road checkpoints, a security headquarters, a team of counsellors and a helicopter evacuation point. Various restrictions have been ordered, including on hunting, hiking, holding “giant apéros”, camping, and parking along roads.

However, Le Figaro said this excitement is probably “for nothing” because so far hardly anyone else has turned up.

It said the expected floods of people have not materialised though a handful of “cranks” who have made the trip are thrilled to be receiving so much attention from the film crews on Bugarach’s streets.

One man, calling himself “Oriana”, told journalists the coming apocalypse would not be “the end of the world”, but would be “a revelation, an internal alchemy that will descend into each of our bodies – like 1,000 orgasms in one go.”

http://www.connexionfrance.com/Police-j ... ticle.html

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 6:40 pm 
High King

Bolivia Bans Coca Cola To Honor Mayan "End of Capitalism"
Quote:
Move over, Mayor Bloomberg. Your big-size soda ban was a great start, but, in the Great Soda Wars, you’ve been upstaged by Bolivia.

The central South American country has announced that it will ban the Coca-Cola company by the end of the year. Specifically, Bolivia’s Minister of External Affairs, David Choquehuanca, has said that Coca-Cola will be expelled on December 21 as that date is the same on which the Mayan calendar enters a new cycle. The reason: To celebrate the “end of capitalism.”

Quote:
The twenty-first of December 2012 is the end of selfishness, of division. The twenty-first of December has to be the end of Coca-Cola and the beginning of mocochinche (a local peach-flavored soft drink). “The planets will line up after 26,000 years. It is the end of capitalism and the beginning of communitarianism

http://www.care2.com/causes/bolivia-wil ... alism.html

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2012 11:55 pm 
Grand Master

I pinched myself and still seem to be here, but I am wondering if that is my own personal illusion or whether I am a figment of God's imagination?

I was at the barber's having a haircut when the baktun kicked over and do you know what? The man had the gall to charge me for it. I tried to explain he had no need of the money any more as the world had ended, but he said I had no need of it either, so pay up, just in case.

It's proper confusing, this end of the world malarkey, and I for one will be happy when it all gets back to normal. A stitch in time distorts eternity.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 3:19 am 
Queen Bee

Davinho wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8004316/ns/video/#50257119

watch this. My friend Susie appears halfway through and is asked about UFO's. Then some random dude gets accredited with being Henry Lincoln who actually does turn up later and is described as "a local". Susie told me he'd just popped down to Relais to get some End of World Wine when they collared him. He was shouting "I do not want to be filmed" at the camera man. They eventually persude him to talk on camera and his 2 second quote is classic Henry :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Henry was Great :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 7:47 am 
Queen Bee

Quote:
A stitch in time distorts eternity.

...a date in future time changes the present.

Do you think that maybe somewhere there is woman who marked the date down in her diary over thirty years ago...and that the date became the basis for her deciding not to have children...?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2012 3:42 pm 
Grand Master

http://videos.leparisien.fr/video/89175dddfe8s.html#xtor=EREC-109----1767809@1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7