Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 23 Nov 2017 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 10:55 am 
High King

well done!

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 11:03 am 
Grand Master

Well done, Boris and Sandy

best regards Hans

All the best for the survivors

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 11:58 am 
Queen Bee

Not really, it's all down to pulling the finger out... I don't mean to be rude, but get animated.

Why don't you guys post stuff rather than waiting for others to do it.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 12:01 pm 
Queen Bee

I could post reams of stuff on here and bore the pants off you all like I used to do ... but come on - from my point of view it was like talking into a vacuum, the only person who interacted with me recently was the lovely Marcus.

I'm quite happy to continue, but when there's no reciprocation, it can get tiresome.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 12:55 pm 
High King

As was very kindly pointed out to me, I don't contributre much anyway so should stay here. There is a rather bitter taste in my mouth though. Perhaps the long drawn out death of this forum was initiated with the Hammott fake and then one of the perpetuators of that fake who showed no humility whatsoever in the whole ugly episode plunges the final nail in the forum's coffin by poaching what few people remain here. Yes very bitter indeed

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 2:43 pm 
Grand Master

Sheila wrote:
I could post reams of stuff on here and bore the pants off you all like I used to do ... but come on - from my point of view it was like talking into a vacuum, the only person who interacted with me recently was the lovely Marcus.

I'm quite happy to continue, but when there's no reciprocation, it can get tiresome.

Nothing boring about your postings Sheila, far from it. Maybe a little beyond some of our(my) knowledge usually. Between work and nicer weather it`s hard to get buried in a computer when the sun is shining..

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 2:51 pm 
Queen Bee

Thanks CG enjoy the sunshine....may it shine on you.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 2:58 pm 
High King

Quote:
Nothing boring about your postings Sheila

I'll second that

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 3:11 pm 
High King

I have replied to your PM, sheila but at the moment it is sitting in my outbox not going anywhere it seems

Last edited by Davinho on 23 May 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 3:40 pm 
Grand Master

Do you not think that it's the subject that is dying-to-dead and not just the forum?

HBHG was what? The 80's? The BBC Chronicle programmes the 70's? And apart from dubious stuff like the Da Vinci Code that added nothing more and the obvious fakes - which briefly piqued interest - what has happened in between then and now to actually keep the subject in people's minds?

Splitting off from this 'wider based' forum also seems a short sighted idea IMHO - as isn't splitting it just likely to lose people along the way rather than gain people with new ideas? So doesn't the new forum then become plagued by the same issue that makes all social media naff - the fact that people only now see stuff that they want to see - either the platform filters out stuff that is of no interest or people only join areas of narrower interest where their ideas are reinforced by people of like mindsets. If the point of the new forum was to have a similarly wide base as this forum (had?), then why start another forum?

Salvador Dali

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 3:51 pm 
High King

Quote:
Do you not think that it's the subject that is dying-to-dead and not just the forum?

Probably, so setting up a new Forum to rival this one is not going to help. There's tons of archived info here that has been accumulated over many years and people are going to have keep refering back to this forum so it would seem, on the surface, pointless to start a new one unless your goal was to maybe attempt to wipe your slate clean.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 4:05 pm 
Queen Bee

Nothing is dead and gone... give it a kick-start.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 4:09 pm 
Grand Master

Davinho wrote:
Quote:

Probably, so setting up a new Forum to rival this one is not going to help. There's tons of archived info here that has been accumulated over many years and people are going to have keep refering back to this forum so it would seem, on the surface, pointless to start a new one unless your goal was to maybe attempt to wipe your slate clean.

Guys, I can't speak for anyone, but I think starting a new forum was a way to have some control over the the constant interuptions by certain peoples. Now a moderator can take action to unwanted posts or posters. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 4:14 pm 
High King

There's an ignore button for that. Nah, I'm sticking with my original hunch

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 4:59 pm 
Grand Master

Crimson_Ghost wrote:
Davinho wrote:
Quote:

Guys, I can't speak for anyone, but I think starting a new forum was a way to have some control over the the constant interuptions by certain peoples. Now a moderator can take action to unwanted posts or posters. Just my thoughts.

As Dav says, surely there are enough tools on this forum to handle posts you don't want to read? And apart from freedom to post, aren't some of the best threads the ones that started on a certain topic that then morphed and changed and brought in other ideas?

Salvador Dali

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 5:56 pm 
Grand Master

Sheila is totally right. If you want to have this forum alive, re-kickstart it!

I mean all of you will have tons of ideas and impressions and ideas - but a lot of you will fear to post it here - fearing to get a bad response like "you have no idea anyway because I KNOW BETTER.." bla bla bla..

So give a shit to this and post all your ideas and solutions you have an lets make an arbitrage all together that no one will disturb this (I include myself here)

Example: on the german Forum there are quite some things on-going....but nobody is posting it here....quite sad I would say...

Look: some of you like that Chérisey stuff and think it is most important to interpret each word the master said...fair enough...not up to me to say I think it is not my piece of cake. Fair enough and a hell of a job these people have done!! Chapeau!

On the other Hand: People believing in codes and treasure maps (like me) - nonsense for a lot of people here. Fair enough I would say. I at least will continue to post my nonsense here..!

Because I know something by heart and for sure: there was and is something strange going on in the Razès...

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 8:40 pm 
High King

Sheila wrote:
Not really, it's all down to pulling the finger out... I don't mean to be rude, but get animated.

Why don't you guys post stuff rather than waiting for others to do it.

hear . hear !

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 8:46 pm 
High King

I blame Roscoe. :lol:

The other site even invited Paul Smith onto their forum :roll: He lasted for four posts before he skeddadled and deleted his posts :lol: . Back to the echo chamber that is his own forum :lol:

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 9:08 pm 
High King

Davinho wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. This forum is a treasure trove of info and articles about RLC. The other site, well all the best of British to it, ( Pilrig has posted a couple of times -under another pseudonym), but from most of what I see it consists of mostly Circuit, and a lot of that was lifted from dear auld Wombat's posts here. A great philosopher once wrote, "Naughty, naughty, very naughty" :lol:
And come to think of it it was yours truly here who rebooted this moribund site last November by posting aboot Circuit ! 8)

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 9:23 pm 
Grand Master

(Greetings from the road, from vacation in the Alps, in the lovely Garmisch Partenkirchen-Mittenwald-Walchensee-area in Bavaria)

I think nothing is dead. Long live new ideas and old ones gone 2.0!
There's still too much to talk about.

However there might not be room for two english speaking forums. One active forum is better than two semi active ones.
I also really believe moderation is needed, call it control or whatever, but in the end, we need it. It's already been proved a few times here. Moderators keep trolls away.

It's sad to see people I really enjoy speaking with – some I shared thoughts with, some I met in person, some who's post still make me say wow (don't miss out on Sheilas new thoughts/evidence about the slopes of Blanchefort) - end up in different forums.
We can keep both alive, but in the end, one would be better, one with moderation.

Time for sleep. New day tomorrow, more mountains to walk/climb, more beer to drink, more wienerschnitzel to eat.
Tonight I hope I dream about Serres - the village that provides the key to it all :P

/marcus

PostPosted: 23 May 2017 9:47 pm 
Grand Master

Pilrig wrote:
Davinho wrote:
Quote:

Exactly. This forum is a treasure trove of info and articles about RLC. The other site, well all the best of British to it, ( Pilrig has posted a couple of times -under another pseudonym), but from most of what I see it consists of mostly Circuit, and a lot of that was lifted from dear auld Wombat's posts here. A great philosopher once wrote, "Naughty, naughty, very naughty" :lol:
And come to think of it it was yours truly here who rebooted this moribund site last November by posting aboot Circuit ! 8)

It is very much so, a great database.

But also keep in mind - this forum contains a lot of undisputed (<--here) claims that have been proved false over time.
Could a newcomer use it as a source of knowledge? How would a newcomer know what to sort out when reading 8 year old posts? And is that a problem or not?

PostPosted: 24 May 2017 9:14 pm 
Grand Master

I personally didn't see a huge need for moderation. In the past, perhaps, but recently? Not really. Don't want to see Roscoe's occasional flareups? Hit ignore. Really want a moderator? Volunteer to do it here.

What I would like to see is a documents section, where you have best of copies of photos and texts and maps that are referred to repeatedly, and which could be linked to within threads.

As far as incorrect information, I think that is part of open discussion and even when I go back and read entire threads, it's not that hard to determine the wheat from the chaff. It would be nice to have a sort of theories to date section, but it would be hard to gain consensus on what the "current truth" is in many cases.

Just some idle thoughts.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

PostPosted: 24 May 2017 9:44 pm 
Grand Master

Caelum wrote:
I personally didn't see a huge need for moderation. In the past, perhaps, but recently? Not really. Don't want to see Roscoe's occasional flareups? Hit ignore. Really want a moderator? Volunteer to do it here.

What I would like to see is a documents section, where you have best of copies of photos and texts and maps that are referred to repeatedly, and which could be linked to within threads.

As far as incorrect information, I think that is part of open discussion and even when I go back and read entire threads, it's not that hard to determine the wheat from the chaff. It would be nice to have a sort of theories to date section, but it would be hard to gain consensus on what the "current truth" is in many cases.

Just some idle thoughts.

Good points in my opinion.

PostPosted: 24 May 2017 10:49 pm 
Grand Master

Barbarian Storm wrote:
Caelum wrote:

Just some idle thoughts.

Good points in my opinion.

Yes good point indeed, but ...
Does Arcadia really represent a good database? Do we have access to good structured data on themes and categories? Is there a reliable and specific mode to access something when you need?

Ignore Roscoe yes... but how can you ignore everyone answering to roscoe and detouring an entire thread? And lets admit its not roscoe the only one that had slideslips. He just manifested in a manner that resembles more to a psychiatric problem. There are many that do the same thing and which no one sanctions. I would even say that there is an attitude much more than tolerant for such slideslips.

Volunteer as a moderator ok.... to whom? Don't think Andrew or any of the moderators have been around for ages or care about whats going on actually.
Here it's been said that two forums are too much for the community of those interested in the so called mystery of two Rennes. Totally inaccurate. Along the years arcadia has highlighted itself through a certain approach of the problem. I'm not saying its neither good or bad but its obvious that it has entered a trap it has dug for itself and cannot get out of it.

The Alpheus Cercle didn't start to exist from the necessity of a rivalry. Arcadia and Alpheus are not rival forums... there are just different approaches to the same problem. Thats all. What I personally propose is to create a true database serious, unbiased and well organized which to be USEFUL for researchers. But for that there is need for time and everyone's help... I mean including you, Arcadia users. And please try to exit the paradigm of a rivalry, a war or stuff like that... its stupid. Let's build not destroy.

PostPosted: 25 May 2017 7:07 am 
Queen Bee

Quote:

Explain what you want and I'll put them up.
However, they will be in the original language...much to the annoyance of the few.