Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 23 Nov 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stuff...
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 5:18 pm 
Queen Bee

Symbole templier extrait de la règle de St Bernard
Date: XIIe siècle

Ce symbole templier, lettrine enluminée, est extrait d'un manuscrit original du XIIe siècle de la bibliothèque de Bruges concernant la Règle de l'Ordre du Temple, commanderie de Baelst (banlieue de Bruges), baillage de Flandres - Bruges Flandres orientale. Ce manuscrit porte l'ex-libris de l'abbaye des Dunes. Il passe pour être le plus ancien exemplaire connu, transcrit du vivant de l'abbé de Clairvaux, alors qu'il n'était pas encore saint, mais seulement qualifié de Dom Bernard.

http://lemercuredegaillon.free.fr/bibli ... age19.html

This is the same symbol we see in the church at Rennes le Château .... that fact doesn't seem to be mentioned in the article ?

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 6:04 pm 
Queen Bee

It's the First page of the Rule of the Templars.

Am I the only one that didn't realise that the symbol in Saunière's church is a head-nod to the Templars ?
In recognition of his benefactors ?

Post subject: Re: Stuff...
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 6:47 pm 
High King

That looks more like it ....in some respects. It isnt one hundred per cent equal ...

Who were they?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:09 pm 
Queen Bee

I'll re-phrase that.....

Quote:
Am I the only one who hadn't realised that the symbol in Saunière's church is a head-nod to the Templars .... in recognition of his benefactors ?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:19 pm 
High King

Am I the only one who hadn't realised that the symbol in Saunière's church is a head-nod to the Templars .... in recognition of his benefactors ?

Hi Sheila,

Just trying to understand what ur implying ...

1] Where is the proof that the symbol and design in the church Sauniere used is from a manuscript of the Templars? Or are you suggesting because it is similar there must be a connection? Or is Sauniere keeping alive some sort of tradition, for you, because these two designs look similar?
2] When you say 'in recognition of his benefactors' - do you mean that a Templar connected group was his benefactors? As in, after their annihilation in 1307 - you think the group survived and was alive and well in the late 1800's? Or do you mean a modern incarnation Templar invented group were his benefactors? Or do you mean some secret families who think they have Templar connections?

I can believe the family connection bit ..i'm pretty sure some families can trace their line back to some Templar knights...

Or do you mean something completely different?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:23 pm 
Queen Bee

None of the above.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:24 pm 
High King

Ok, so can you explain?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:26 pm 
Queen Bee

Do you Sandy think that Sauniere's design in my top photo is just some swirly arty stuff ?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:28 pm 
High King

Do you Sandy think that Sauniere's design in my top photo is just some swirly arty stuff ?

To be honest Sheila, im sure it meant something to Sauniere. But i dont know what it means ... but am always eager to learn.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:34 pm 
Queen Bee

Me too...

Can't you see the similarities..... that to all intents and purposes they are the same ?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:35 pm 
High King

Yes, i can definitely see the similarities. And one could argue that the similarities are too similar to be co-incidental?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:37 pm 
Queen Bee

...and that it could be a head-nod to where his wealth came from ?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:38 pm 
High King

This is the same symbol we see in the church at Rennes le Château .... that fact doesn't seem to be mentioned in the article ?

Yes, that is strange.

He has tried to link it to the Priory of Sion logo, and yet that is totally disimilar. We could say the Sauniere design is much more nearer the design than the Priory logo!

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:45 pm 
Queen Bee

Les Templiers sont parmi nous ...and maybe closer than we thought.
Did their legacy help restore & decorate this church.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:52 pm 
High King

Why did Plantard say ‘if you know well the history of France, you will understand why there has been a revival of the Order of the Temple, with (the) great families of Merovingian origin’? What has the Order of the Temple to do with the Merovingians?

Edited to add:

Plantards son, Thomas, alleged that the Priory stemmed out of the Razes and involved various families. These included names which crop up in the Rennes mystery frequently including that of the De Negri family, the Hautpouls, the Fleury, Rosset, Blanchefort, Joyeuse, Fouquet, Gonzague and De Levi. They all belonged to knightly orders, which were ostensibly Catholic. On deeper delving
they all seemed to be associated with heresies of one kind or another. Plantard had suggested that great Merovingian families were behind the Knights Templar, and behind all great heresies against the Church. Why would this be the case?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 7:58 pm 
Queen Bee

Or Saunière found their stash.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 8:04 pm 
Queen Bee

...and thanked them discreetly with his decorator's paintbrush.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 9:30 pm 
Grand Master

Interesting stuff indeed.
I can see the similarities in the pattern.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 10:45 pm 
Grand Master

Nice find, way to close to be a random design in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: PS
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017 10:45 pm 
Emperor

Sheila wrote:

Am I the only one that didn't realise that the symbol in Saunière's church is a head-nod to the Templars ?

The Rule of the Templars was based on originally The Rule of St Benedict, which was adapted to the Cistercians then written by Bernard of Clairvaux a Cistercian Monk/Abbot/Reformer for the Cistercians.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017 5:16 am 
High King

Sheila wrote:

What was the date of that photograph Sheila? It (the interior of the church) seems to be in very good condition. Which makes me think it had to be some time after April 2012.

Here's a shot close-handy to yours taken in 2010. You can just see the border of the pillar. While it's hard to be certain, there does seem to be a colour change to the border of the design. (unfortunately I don't have a full-on shot of the pillar).

And the reason I ask is because in 2012 I was there when the painters were giving it a going-over. Again, unfortunately, I didn't get a full-on shot of that particular pillar - but you can see there was a fair bit of whiting-out going on in other places inside the church.

When they repainted the interior did they faithfully reproduce the earlier design, I wonder.

Post subject: Re: PS
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017 6:25 am 
Grand Master

Sheila wrote:

Sorry, but it is not the same symbol.

regards Hans

Post subject: difference being....
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017 6:35 am 
Queen Bee

Image .. Image

Saunière's device has the arms open and growing, while Bernard's are closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017 7:13 am 
Queen Bee

"These arms remained the emblem of the Temple until the fifth year of the reign of queen Elizabeth (the 1st) when unfortunately the society of the Inner Temple yielding to the advice and persuasion of Master Gerard Leigh a member of the College of Heralds abandoned the ancient and honourable device of the Knights Templars and assumed in its place a winged horse called a Pegasus, or, as it has been explained to us, a horse striking the earth with its hoof or, Pegasus luna a field argent ! "

https://books.google.fr/books?id=_FnbfX ... nt&f=false

A winged horse called a Pegasus ... a horse striking the earth with its hoof .... héliodore chassé du temple sums up the situation nicely.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017 7:45 am 
Emperor

bergeredearcadie wrote:
Why did Plantard say ‘if you know well the history of France, you will understand why there has been a revival of the Order of the Temple, with (the) great families of Merovingian origin’? What has the Order of the Temple to do with the Merovingians?

Edited to add:

Plantards son, Thomas, alleged that the Priory stemmed out of the Razes and involved various families. These included names which crop up in the Rennes mystery frequently including that of the De Negri family, the Hautpouls, the Fleury, Rosset, Blanchefort, Joyeuse, Fouquet, Gonzague and De Levi. They all belonged to knightly orders, which were ostensibly Catholic. On deeper delving
they all seemed to be associated with heresies of one kind or another. Plantard had suggested that great Merovingian families were behind the Knights Templar, and behind all great heresies against the Church. Why would this be the case?

If your question is what does the Order of the Temple have to do with the great families of Merovingian origin, the answer is:-

The Temple.