Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 20 Sep 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017 6:36 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
THE VILLA AT LE CERCLE

Some more on le Cercle.

This is difficult to see with the mapping tools of today due to heavy vegetation and trees.
The area doesn't look anything like this today, so it's a good thing that we can travel back in time, if only for 50-60 years.

Some of the older aerial images do show us all the crop marks we really need to see at le Cercle.
I'd say chances are very good that this was once the location of a Roman villa.
Join the visible lines together and you'll end up with a perfect square, even. Only the Romans would have bothered with this. And that is how they built their villas, too.

What is more is that a majority of the housing walls align.
And looking at the bigger picture the angle - tilt - is about right too. It has the same angle as the town centre (depending a little on which angle you choose to believe in, see earlier discussion).

Aerial image of le Cercle:
Image

Added contrast:
Image

Note angles and lines:
Image

Result:
Image

And strangely enough, there's a diagonal line, a little path, crossing the entire perfect square.

This has the Romans all over it.

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 10 Jan 2010 10:10 pm
Posts: 1547
Location: pennsylvania
The whole damn area needs to be hit with LIDAR.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017 7:48 pm 
Offline
High King

Joined: 07 Nov 2006 11:57 pm
Posts: 4635
whole damn area

I note a little bit of maybe aggression there :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
It's an ideal spot for a villa. There's not much flat lands on these banks, unless you move up to the next plateaus.
This one is, well, relatively flat and has just enough altitude to make the location safe from flooding, but is still close to the Sals waters.
Like mentioned earlier, I wonder if it is a coincidence water reservoirs are located here...

Up, above the slope:
Image
Image
Image

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 10 Jan 2010 10:10 pm
Posts: 1547
Location: pennsylvania
bergeredearcadie wrote:
whole damn area

I note a little bit of maybe aggression there :mrgreen:

:lol: No, just would like to see what might be hidden in the landscapes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 12:20 am 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
Image

Maybe I am completely off the bat here, but just raising the question... you already know I am crazy, so it can't be any worse, can it?

Could the fontaine of le Cercle once have been a part of a semi circular Roman theatre, originally, built into the hillside? Shape is right. Extend it and you get a semi circular shape. Looking at the landscape around it, I get the feeling it could be a possibility.

Perhaps the ruins were used to build the fontaine.

Roman theatres were often built in the outskirts of towns... that could fit here, if we only knew the size of the village in ancient times.

Maybe the fact that we just see a fontaine is what hides the real original purpose for us? The perfect disguise for a theatre?

I am looking for semicircular or circular location that could have housed a theatre. The one shape/house in town is turned the wrong way. Have any other suggestion?

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 6:45 am 
Offline
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 1695
Location: Razes
Barbarian Storm wrote:
... you already know I am crazy, so it can't be any worse, can it...




You are not crazy, you are creativ. Isn't the whole story crazy?


Today is "Blue Apples Day". I will be there - isn't that crazy ?


Best regards to all the crazy members of the forum

Hans Peper

_________________
Yes, I am living in a world of shit, but I am alive...and alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 8:59 am 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
hans peper wrote:
Barbarian Storm wrote:
... you already know I am crazy, so it can't be any worse, can it...




You are not crazy, you are creativ. Isn't the whole story crazy?


Today is "Blue Apples Day". I will be there - isn't that crazy ?


Best regards to all the crazy members of the forum

Hans Peper


Oh, it's that day today...

Wish I was there. I hope you'll see it. 8)

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 9:09 am 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
However, the Fontaine du Cercle also reminds you about a Roman water distribution tank.
And we know there's at least one source of water that leads here from up in the hillside (and you could easily lead water from the Sals to this place if you start far enough upstream).

This far south of the village, the tank would have been able to distribute water downstream to the village, granted the houses really were located on the riverbank.
See how the landscape is formed north and south of the Fontaine. I see the possibility of small channels and leats distributing water downstream from here.

Roman water distribution tank (Nîmes):

Image

Fontaine du Cercle today:

Image

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
High King

Joined: 07 Nov 2006 11:57 pm
Posts: 4635
Best regards to all the crazy members of the forum


Thx Hans.

How was it?

Am i crazzy???? :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 6:28 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 1695
Location: Razes
bergeredearcadie wrote:

How was it?
Am i crazzy???? :mrgreen:


Yes Sandy, we are all crazy (if you ask a normal man... if you find one..)

How was it ? Business as usual. As every year.

The church was as full as last year, but not so much prommies as before.

The sun shines only for minutes through the cloudy sky. And a strong icecold wind was blowing. Some of the ladies had high fashion clothes which are maybe hip, but too cold for the trip.

When the sun shines, you hear " ahhhh..." and a lot of arms with fotohandys (with or without selfie sticks) are rising. And when the sun disapeared you here "...ohhhh".
The "blue apples" where noticed like a world wonder........?

And thats it.

As I said, we are all together crazy.... :lol:

Best regards Hans

_________________
Yes, I am living in a world of shit, but I am alive...and alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 6:32 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 12 Aug 2008 2:01 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Switzerland
Perhaps we have to think differently. Perhaps it was not such a prosperous Roman site as we think. Perhaps it was a kind of "closed" or even "forbidden" area. Perhaps it even acted as kind of prison area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 1695
Location: Razes
Hi Barbarian,

I like your connection between le cercle and the roman water distributor. It fits in the form and in the feeling.

It's crazy, but exactly the stuff I need.

your fool
Hans

_________________
Yes, I am living in a world of shit, but I am alive...and alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 11:13 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
fmh999 wrote:
Perhaps we have to think differently. Perhaps it was not such a prosperous Roman site as we think. Perhaps it was a kind of "closed" or even "forbidden" area. Perhaps it even acted as kind of prison area.


A prison area? Care to develop the thought? 8)

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2017 11:15 pm 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 14 Dec 2010 1:48 am
Posts: 1803
hans peper wrote:
Hi Barbarian,

I like your connection between le cercle and the roman water distributor. It fits in the form and in the feeling.

It's crazy, but exactly the stuff I need.

your fool
Hans


Thank you!
Takes a fool to remain sane.
At least if you're looking for The Ark! 8)

_________________
Roma Victor!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 3:58 am 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 10 Jan 2010 10:10 pm
Posts: 1547
Location: pennsylvania
Barbarian Storm wrote:
However, the Fontaine du Cercle also reminds you about a Roman water distribution tank.
And we know there's at least one source of water that leads here from up in the hillside (and you could easily lead water from the Sals to this place if you start far enough upstream).

This far south of the village, the tank would have been able to distribute water downstream to the village, granted the houses really were located on the riverbank.
See how the landscape is formed north and south of the Fontaine. I see the possibility of small channels and leats distributing water downstream from here.

Roman water distribution tank (Nîmes):

Image

Fontaine du Cercle today:

Image


Don`t forget the Romans did use pipes for water distribution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2017 4:36 am 
Offline
Grand Master

Joined: 10 Jan 2010 10:10 pm
Posts: 1547
Location: pennsylvania
fmh999 wrote:
Perhaps we have to think differently.

This is the best idea I have heard forever. It`s hard to think outside the box once you already have your mind set on something. Sometimes logic and common sense work out well.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group