Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 23 Nov 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 1:45 am 
High King

They were special? I don`t buy it. Do we even know the original Roman or pre-Roman name for this "special" place?

I mean in relation to today, is there a reason for RLB being more 'special' in the context of our favourite mystery? As there are certainly
many more hot springs all over southern france.

However, if we are talking in a general context, the original Roman or pre-roman - well all hot springs and thermae were special and accordingly had their own special divinity.
RLB had a probable goddess source at their thermal hot springs.

Last edited by bergeredearcadie on 08 Jan 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 1:47 am 
Grand Master

bergeredearcadie wrote:
What place are you guys talking about? Its not there. At all.

Where is it then? *sigh*

It all gets so tiresome.

Do you know what i have been doing all day today? Looking at the history of the Romans at RLB/Narbonne/Carcassonne.
What colonia are, which legions went there, what exactly did it mean to be 'settled' at Narbonne by Ceasar.
What was there before - the Iron Age tribes and how they lived, what they made, their ritual landscapes.
Trying to work out why the thermae there would be so 'special' - as there were plenty all over southern france and alot closer to Narbonne.
So why should RLB even have a town there?
If the Romans mined, how did they do this?
What was the trade network.
All this is from archaeology.

Or did RLB start off a a villa? A camp? A mansio?

Is there anyone who finds this just as interesting as the romantic searching for the lost Roman gold?

I do.
The important tilt is 33 degrees, that gives us a timeframe for this.
Study Beziers and Narbo cadastrales, the two different ancient sets.
You'll see how it started around here.

Last edited by Barbarian Storm on 08 Jan 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 3:08 am 
Grand Master

bergeredearcadie wrote:
I mean in relation to today, is there a reason for RLB being more 'special' in the context of our favourite mystery? As there are certainly
many more hot springs all over southern france.

Well, I don`t think the waters really play a role as far as the modern mystery goes. The area in general has the perfect backdrop for a great story, I mean think about it, the Gauls, Romans, Visigoths, Franks,Arabs, Cathars, all of them have legends of lost gold, or valuables being stashed away. Fleury and his mines, Sauniere and his "mysterious" income, Boudet`s cryptic bizarre book talking about treasures and burials. It just all fits together so well.

If not for Sauniere and his spending, Corbu and his newspaper articles about Sauniere,Robert Charroux and his articles would Plantard and deCherisey have even entered the picture, It`s doubtful.

Any town in that area could have worked into the story line with the rich and amazing history of the area, but not every town had a Sauniere to start such a mystery.

That`s just my two cents worth on the "special" factor. So no I don`t buy it. The Pyramids, Machu Picchu, The Hill of Tara, Stonehenge, Carnac those are special.I`m not saying RlB is not a amazing place, it`s number one on my bucket list. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 7:17 am 
Grand Master

Boris Balkan wrote:
Quote:
This spot is pointed out by Plantard in his Tarot card "the pope"

yes, indeed...

Quote:
Because of the Delmas cross and the mysterious suggestion that a tomb was emptied out in the vicinity

The three Delmas crosses are pointing to a place in that area, where Plantard lead us by the "pope card".

Best regards
Hans

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 9:19 am 
High King

hans peper wrote:

The three Delmas crosses are pointing to a place in that area, where Plantard lead us by the "pope card".

Best regards
Hans

The crosses on the "Pope card" or the crosses in the real world (including the one that was chopped off over the Christmas/New Year period)?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 11:44 am 
Queen Bee

Quote:
└ and ┐

That's a good description.

upper left - lower right

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 11:51 am 
Grand Master

You mean our "real world" ? :lol:

Yes, I mean the three crosses in our real world. At the RlB church, the northern parking and the "jubilee" cross on the eastern bank of the river.

I started to explain it in the Tarot thread. The position of the three crosses can be read in a special way, which surveyors use in the time of Edmond Boudet. I gave it to a surveyor company and they calculated me a GPS value of the goal.

As Boris said : It's on a private property.

best regards
Hans

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 1:52 pm 
High King

If not for Sauniere and his spending, Corbu and his newspaper articles about Sauniere,Robert Charroux and his articles would Plantard and deCherisey have even entered the picture, It`s doubtful.

I think this is not quite correct.
Early researchers on the ground were not always led there by those newspaper articles.
At least one researcher was acting on family information and archives.

There is also the possibility that information from the Ernest CROS archives were already 'out' [in all but name]
via Henry de Montfried.

Any town in that area could have worked into the story line with the rich and amazing history of the area,

You would think so but this just isnt the case. I mentioned the case of Caustaussa church. It has an undergound 'Tomb of the Lords', it is said to have been
built on Visigothic foundations, the name of church mans 'guardian, custodia - custodian', it guards a valley where the crusaders went through, cathars, etc etc.
Alot of the elements deemed important in the story of Sauniere. And yet this isnt the church with all the mystery!

but not every town had a Sauniere to start such a mystery. That`s just my two cents worth on the "special" factor.

Actually that is quite true. It's the priests that make it 'a story'.
But then you get into that circular argument about why those priests, and not some priests say in Bugarach?

Edited to add:
This family inherited some of the Negre/Hautpoul archives, and also knew Beausjour [?sp] - the priest that
persecuted Sauniere. You could even build a story that Beaujour found out something and went after Sauniere for
information - anything is possible!

Last edited by bergeredearcadie on 08 Jan 2017 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 1:53 pm 
High King

How come every bugger has been into it then? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 2:52 pm 
High King

And following on from that, if its true, i wonder if the owner of the property realises he has
a mysterious necropolis under his feet.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 3:13 pm 
Grand Master

bergeredearcadie wrote:

I think this is not quite correct.
Early researchers on the ground were not always led there by those newspaper articles.
At least one researcher was acting on family information and archives.

There is also the possibility that information from the Ernest CROS archives were already 'out' [in all but name]
via Henry de Montfried.

Any town in that area could have worked into the story line with the rich and amazing history of the area,

You would think so but this just isnt the case. I mentioned the case of Caustaussa church. It has an undergound 'Tomb of the Lords', it is said to have been
built on Visigothic foundations, the name of church mans 'guardian, custodia - custodian', it guards a valley where the crusaders went through, cathars, etc etc.
Alot of the elements deemed important in the story of Sauniere. And yet this isnt the church with all the mystery!

but not every town had a Sauniere to start such a mystery. That`s just my two cents worth on the "special" factor.

Actually that is quite true. It's the priests that make it 'a story'.
But then you get into that circular argument about why those priests, and not some priests say in Bugarach?

Edited to add:
This family inherited some of the Negre/Hautpoul archives, and also knew Beausjour [?sp] - the priest that
persecuted Sauniere. You could even build a story that Beaujour found out something and went after Sauniere for
information - anything is possible!

Maybe it's "your fault" (just kidding) that you didn't insist, here on Arcadia, on the series of articles written by Philemon.
You know just as well as I do there are two main problems in the english speaking research circles :
lack of information and specific agendas...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 4:15 pm 
High King

Maybe it's "your fault" (just kidding) that you didn't insist, here on Arcadia, on the series of articles written by Philemon.
You know just as well as I do there are two main problems in the english speaking research circles :
lack of information and specific agendas...

Hi Boris,

Well i didn't push it because no-one seemed interested!
I mean i found it all really fascinating - but you know that old saying 'you can take a horse to the trough - but
you cant make it drink ...'.

Yes, i think the English suffer alot from lack of information.
And that is though no fault of the French - i find alot of the French researchers only to willing to help, and they are
also very patient with my lack of French language skills.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 5:07 pm 
High King

bergeredearcadie wrote:

How come every bugger has been into it then? :mrgreen:

Oh for a Land Reform (France) Act.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 8:11 pm 
Grand Master

bergeredearcadie wrote:
Well i didn't push it because no-one seemed interested!
I mean i found it all really fascinating - but you know that old saying 'you can take a horse to the trough - but
you cant make it drink ...'.

Unfortunately very true, some are so biased and desperate in agressively promoting their own agenda, sometimes it doesn't feel worthwhile.
Quote:
Yes, i think the English suffer alot from lack of information.
And that is though no fault of the French - i find alot of the French researchers only to willing to help, and they are
also very patient with my lack of French language skills.

But it is also true what fmhh999 said on the other thread:
Quote:
I follow the French research groups since many years and believe me...lot of crap too (not only of course)

Not everything that is on the french forums is entirely reliable.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017 10:29 pm 
High King

It's a pity more people dont work together to pool information etc.
Instead of the individual factions all trying to be 'the one' to have found it.

I suppose that it is true that no ONE individual will ever get all the answers
on their own ...

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017 6:43 am 
Emperor

bergeredearcadie wrote:
It's a pity more people dont work together to pool information etc.
Instead of the individual factions all trying to be 'the one' to have found it.

I suppose that it is true that no ONE individual will ever get all the answers
on their own ...

One would have thought you knew quite a lot. What do you think you're missing?
Let me put it to this way, if this is something that could bring the Catholic Church down then where do you address the religious aspects of RLC?

For that matter anything that affects the Catholic Church will affect all the Major Abrahamic religions and you can see this where it says "Terribilis est locus iste" an old Testament saying that refers to the First Covenant.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017 9:46 am 
Grand Master

Don't forget that it is the land of the Cathars where it happend.

The pope killed them because of their believe, or was there something more what the popes army was searching ?
And if yes, did they found it ?
And if not, it is thill here.

Let's say it is still here, then it can be very dangerious for the roman church in case it will be found.

What if the Cathars had a proof for their gnostic believe ?

regards Hans

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017 3:34 pm 
High King

I don't mean to interfere in the thread but Every one seems to forget the other major players in the religious wars that have carved and shaped the landscape over the centuries. These people were leaders in the field of gorilla warfare, they knew how to utilise every aspect of their surroundings to their advantage yet are very rarely mentioned in any conversation. I always find it amusing that discussions can jump from the cathars to the 19th century without any thought or interest of the impact those few hundred years had in between or who those people were and what became of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camisard
They knew the paths and the sheep tracks intimately. They called themselves the Children of God- they were inspired by religion not by patronage or politics.

http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/general/cross.htm

http://www.midi-france.info/1014_protestants.htm

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017 9:42 pm 
High King

Crimson_Ghost wrote:
......... but not every town had a Sauniere to start such a mystery.

And dontcha forget Abbé Louis de Coma.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017 3:44 pm 
Queen Bee

To bring the conversation back on track.

Do you know that a complete cadavre, laid out flat on his back, was found in a rock cavern by the ponts et chaussées boys at les Bains.
The cavern was/is about 8m deep.
It was/is right next to the road.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017 5:49 pm 
Queen Bee

Don't all rush at once, just want to check if this is common knowledge.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017 7:51 pm 
High King

Have you more info Sheila?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017 8:23 pm 
Queen Bee

Not much more than what i translated Tina, except for the date.

The body was found a couple of centuries ago & I want to know if this is common knowledge.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2017 9:55 pm 
High King

I would assume that If it is common knowledge it will have been mentioned on one of the French forums

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017 8:09 am 
Grand Master

I only heard about the story of the man who worked with an excavator near Granès who opened up a grave of a knight and immediately closed it again.

A couple of centuries ago? No. I do not think this is common knowledge...at "les Bains" - RLB or another "bains"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next