Arcadia Discussion Zone

Forums dedicated to history's mysteries, Rennes-le-Château and beyond…

Read the Arcadia Forum House Rules

It is currently 23 Nov 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ooops....
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016 5:55 pm 
Queen Bee

Sorry, my posts were originally posted in 2011 and i failed to check if the links were still active.

My apologies.

Post subject: Re: Ooops....
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2016 8:57 pm 
Grand Master

Sheila wrote:
Sorry, my posts were originally posted in 2011 and i failed to check if the links were still active.

My apologies.

I figured that one out 8)

Was there anything interesting to see?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016 2:15 pm 
Grand Master

All the postings of sheila are interesting.....

:roll: Barbaian :lol:

regards Hans

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016 10:07 am 
High King

Although the area is prone to earthquakes none has taken place in recent times of sufficient intensity to produce landslides.
It is very interesting about the earthquake in Provence and water sloshing about in the baths at Rennes les Bains at the time of the Naples earthquake - are they all on the same tectonic plate boundary ?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 8:01 pm 
High King

The Rennes area is not an a tectonic plate boundary. The earthquakes are more associated with the Pyrenees being on the move. St Paul de Fenouillet and Lourdes are a couple of earth movement hot spots.
Now for the geology of the Rennes area. It is pretty complicated. The main rocks were laid down in the cretaceous period a period has been dated to between 145 million to 110 million years ago.

The climate at the time was one of global warming. There were no Ice caps and the sea level was much higher so the Rennes area was largely covered by a shallow sea in which sediments were deposited and also minerals left behind after evaporation. There was abundant life in the sea and the evidence is the large number of fossils in places like la Montagne des Cornes. Dinosaurs were about too and their remains have been found near Esperaza. The sediments give rise to limestone and sandstone depending on whereabouts in the sea they were laid down.

Added to the mix are faults, folds and fissures that allow minerals from deep in the earth's crust to come to the surface often carried in hot water. Where hot water comes to the surface you get mineral rich warm water which has health giving properties. Hence the spas.

Rocks like granite are overlaid by these sediments but they occasionally come to the surface like in the Mouthoumet area. They take the form of domes whereas the sediments are laid down in layers more or less horizontal so they don't slide about.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016 7:48 pm 
Grand Master

Pilrig wrote:
Although the area is prone to earthquakes none has taken place in recent times of sufficient intensity to produce landslides.

Late 1600's ?